Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:07:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        mikemcg@ucla.edu, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dual booting FreeBSD 4.7 and Windows XP

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> Do the FreeBSD install last because any Microsloth installation will
> generally disregard stuff put there by other systems and wipe out
> or rewrite whatever it chooses without regard to what you want or
> try to tell it to do.   But FreeBSD is better mannered.

Heh, that might be the case with "other" MS OSes, but XP is pretty good
(it uses the nt installer, basically). The only problem I've had with an
XP/FreeBSD installation was down to a Dell powertools partition, which
XP carefully navigated, but the BSD installer didn't grok (the disk
contents appear to be shifted by 64 sectors) and trashed the partition
table. So your mileage, as they say, (and knee-jerk reactions to the
side), may vary.

The XP bootloader works fine for dual-booting BSD, incidentally. You'll
need a copy of the BSD boot code.

jan

PS. For what it's worth, XP boots fast, too :-) (25 seconds from poweron
to being logged in.)

The Java disclaimer: values of 'anywhere' may vary between regions.