Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 00:17 EST
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8259 vs APIC

> From: Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:59:04 -0700
>
> The 8259 ICU latches an INT that occurs while that INT is masked.
> The IO APIC looses any INT occuring while that INT is masked.
> Intel calls this a "design consideration", I call it "brain damage".

If you'll pardon the naive opinion, it sounds to me as tho the 8259
is expecting to handle edge-triggered interrupts (as we know to be
true, right?) but the APIC is really expecting level-triggered ints,
where the int will still be there when it's finally unmasked.

If that's true, I would be looking at a solution that kept the edge-
triggered ints on the 8259, as nothing will save you otherwise.  So
what if you cut the rate of lost ints to one a week - that's utterly
unacceptable for a production machine.

I seem to recall that the APIC can be set for either edge or level, or
am I just fantasizing again?

Anyway, thanks for helping me understand the project better!

Barney Wolff  <barney@databus.com>