Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 06:29:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <siremick@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86, Anti-aliasing, Truetype, Freetype

> a few more specifics here *might* be somewhat helpful.

Well, bear with me... if I knew exactly what specific info you needed to
solve the problem, I'd probably already know the answer myself. ;) Extra
info happily provided as-requested...

> you mention
> mozilla, so are you getting not-so-purdy fonts just in mozilla, just in
> gtk apps, just in openoffice, or all-around?

This is a new setup, and until I nail this I've been trying to keep the
number of installed apps to a minimum. Currently the only two X apps I've
installed are OpenOffice and Mozilla. I do not get ANY anti-aliasing in
Mozilla. I DO get AA and Truetype fonts in OO but they look poor. While the
same TT font from Windows looks great. I've heard XFree86 TT fonts can looks
just as good, so that's what I'm pursuing.

If we needed to test something, I could certainly install some other
program.

> are you actually selecting the truetype fonts
> to be used on said apps?  this is relatively important, because while
> you may be using truetype fonts, anti-aliasing may not actually be
> working for you.

Yes... I have tried choosing one of the TTF fonts that only appeared once I
added the Fontpath line in XF86Config which pointed to the TTF folder. I
have done this in both OO and Moz. In Moz I can see the font visibly change
to a non-AA version of it. In OO it is AA but the quality of the AA job is
poor.

> for instance, to have anti-aliased fonts with gtk12
> ports, you need to install and configure gdkxft.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but are Moz or OO gtk apps?

> concerning openoffice, though, it doesn't handle microsoft-based fonts
> very well, from what i've noticed, even on windows systems.  it seems to
> me that this is a problem with openoffice (at least when dealing with
> the .doc format voodoo), not your configuration.

Well, for what its worth, I have OO on my Windows system as well. I am
looking at the exact same text in the exact same font in the same point size
on each in OO Writer. On the Windows system, it looks clean and even. On the
X system, the letters are thicker in uneven ways.. almost like an artificial
bolding job gone bad (no, I don't have bold selected on either).

It might be worth getting The Gimp installed so I can do some comparison
screenshots and put them online.

What's the significance of the fact that TT fonts don't appear when I have
the line in XftConfig but not XF86Config like the handbook says I should do?
Is this the sign of a problem which is playing a role here?

=====
Scott I. Remick   --==--   ICQ: 450152
Save the internet - Use Mozilla: http://home.adelphia.net/~sremick/mozilla/
"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."