Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:41:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      slpalmer@email.com
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Newbie (to development) would like to help

Greetings!
  I would like to join in on the FreeBSD project in whatever way I could.  I don't know what the best route to go about this is, so I'll just give a quick list of what (I think) I'm capable of, and solicit suggestions.

BACKGROUND:
  I first tried to run BSD/386 in '92 or so but had only a MicroChannel machine, and proting to a new arch was beyond me.  I've run various GNU/Linux systems since .9x kernels, and used FreeBSD since version 2.1.
  I work for Sprint Paranet as a UN*X Technical Analyst doing everything from System Administration to Perl Development, and general UN*X Support.
  I am proficiant (not a wizard ;) at Perl5.  I can read and understand most C code, although I'm not good at developing in C from scratch.

HARDWARE:
  My home system is an AMD K6-233 w/ 64 meg of RAM and a Western Digital 6.4 gig Hard Disk (IDE/UDMA).  I have a Zoom parallel-port full-motion-color camera (Like a Connectix color QuickCam) that I've not yet tried under FreeBSD, a small 10baseT network, HP JetDirect External, RIVA TNT based video card (I'm running the VGA16 server until it's supported).

My system stays connected to the net (56k) from 8:00 AM CST to 5:00 PM CST.  I CVSup FreeBSD-CURRENT and make world daily. (Since 3.0-RELEASE)  During business hours my system can be reached at http://midearth.dyn.ml.org

Any suggestions on how I can be more helpful?

Stephen L. Palmer
slpalmer@email.com