Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 20:12:56 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest 2.1R panic. Hmm.

>David Greenman wrote in message ID
><199602282347.PAA07077@Root.COM>:
>>    Is there a general consensus that wasting one extra page for the message
>> buffer by default is desired? I know I've overrun it myself on many systems,
>> and it's very annoying when it happens.
>>    If so, I'll make the change to an 8K buffer a standard part of FreeBSD.
>
>Hmm. Perhaps make it a kernel compile option, and if user-land
>programs need to know the size of the buffer, add a sysctl (or

   Yes, we can make just about anything a compile-time option and yes, the
size of the message buffer should be tuneable. BUT, that's not my point. If
it is generally considered that 8K is what is needed, then we should increase
the size irrespective of whether or not it is tuneable.

-DG

David Greenman