Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:46:19 -0700
From:      "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>
To:        key@network-alchemy.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hibernation on FreeBSD

Ken,

>   I get no-beep on my win2k/4.3-release dual-boot.
>
>I don't think the BIOS is missing it.  I think it's the PS2.exe tool
>for Win2K that's missing it.  We have a T21 here that is a FreeBSD
>v4.2/ Win98 dual-boot.  I just confirmed that Fn-F12 from Win98
>gives me the IBM BIOS screen and it hibernates to disk. Rebooted
>into FreeBSD and Fn-F12 hibernates there as well.  So it's the
>same BIOS, just different OS's.  I did try to copy over the Win98
>PS2.exe (and ps2main.exe) to run under Win2K, but that failed
>miserably (OS2 error pop-up).

What happens if you switch the hard drives between the two T21's?  [OK,
I know they are work machines and maybe you shouldn't do that :)]  This
would be a nice test to perform, to isolate BIOS from Win2K bootstrap.
(Alternatively, the ThinkPad configuration tool can verify that the
BIOS versions are the same on the two machines I guess.)

Is it possible that the OS error was due to not enough files being
copied over?  Or maybe the two schemes use the same file name, and this
could be overcome by booting with a Win98 formatted bootable floppy,
from which I sometimes run ps2.  The hibernation file on my Win95
machine is C:\PM_HIBER.BIN.  If the file names are different between
Win98 and Win2K, but the machines are the same in every other respect,
you could try copying the hibernation file from the Win98 machine to
the Win2K machine.  If the BIOS is the same then it shouldn't care at
that point that the OS installed into the FAT32 partition is Win2K.

I wonder also if the Win2K problem could be solved by putting in a
FAT/FAT32 DOS partition in front of the Win2K partition, putting a
hibernate file on the new partition, then hiding it so Win2K doesn't
relabel C: -> D: etc.  [OK ... again :)]  PartitionMagic should be able
to do this.  Since Win2K seems to be using its own bootstrap to resume
it shouldn't mind at all.

>When I do a Win2K Hibernate, the OS is writing the hibernate file
>rather than the BIOS.  When I boot after a Win2K hibernate, I get
>the bootany F1/F2/F3/F4 prompts and can boot straight into FreeBSD.

I'm jealous of that.  I consider it a great feature that one could
suspend the WinXX session, dual-boot into FreeBSD, then go back and
resume the WinXX session.

Greg