Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:25:50 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Jose M Rodriguez" <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: request for minor changes in gnome@ ports.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:51:27 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez
<josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es> wrote:

> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:35:42 +0100, Jose M Rodriguez
>> <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> After latest changes, I'm getting better results of
>>> gnome2/kde/mozilla  multi-user xserver install.
>>>
>>> But some problems still present:
>>>
>>> devel/gnomevfs2
>>>
>>>     This por has the KDE_MENUS option on by default (package builds).
>>>     This has never work well (at last, al my gnome users don't like
>>>     this).
>>>     Can this be off by default?
>>

>> What's not never work? I only got less than two feedbacks for almost a
>> year. Please send me the screenshot and be sure you have the lastest
>> version of KDE. The KDE_MENUS always work for me when I tested by
>> install  the lastest version of KDE (pkg_add -r kde). I disagree about
>> disable it  by default for package, but don't worry in the next version
>> of gnomevfs2  (2.10.x) won't have this anymore.
>>
> Sorry, it works, maybe some problems with the icons.

Only three to four or less, which it's KDE's fault for not have
'Categories' or/and 'Icon' entry in .desktop files. You can request to the
KDE team for add them in few .desktop files.

> But the integration in the gnome menu system isn't really good.
> In fact, none of my gnome users like this.

Well, you know what to do for them then. dislike vs like don't matter,
what it matters is enable it by default in package. It is easier to
disable them than enable.

> About your little feedback, it must be related to his real use.

Ok, you can search in archives of freebsd-gnome for my answers. Last time
was need to update KDE.

>> You always can reinstall gnomevfs2 without have KDE_MENUS option.
>> gnomevfs2 doesn't take that long to build. Another way is to edit in
>> ${X11BASE}/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info
>> and remove ${X11BASE}/share/gnome/vfolders/KDE.directory without
>> reinstall  gnomevfs2.
>>
> Yes. I have it disable in my locals builds, but I try to use portupgrade
> local setup as little as possible.
<snip>

Add this in your /etc/make.conf:

======================================
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/devel/gnomevfs2}
WITHOUT_KDE_MENUS=yes
.endif

or just for any ports:

WITHOUT_KDE_MENUS=yes

It will work for everything such as portupgrade, 'make install' and etc.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org