Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 09:40:20 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@free.fr>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with VLAN and natd.

Thierry Herbelot wrote:

> Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> > >
> > > Wes Peters wrote:
> > > >
> > > [SNIP]

> > > What about a netgraph-enabled ATM NIC driver ? (this seems the missing
> > > piece to get bridged Ethernet over RFC1483 encapsulation on ATM)
> >
> > If the top of all the network interface drivers is a netgraph connection,
>
> we agree on it : FreeBSD needs a netgraphified hfa(4) : I've seen one or
> two trys to get it done (the trouble is not many of our commiters know
> well enough both ATM and netgraph to actually do it, and the ones who do
> are so busy with other, more interesting challenges)

Like me.  Sigh.  I've been approached about several interesting contract
positions to do FreeBSD work since I joined this nice little startup, but
I'm going to stick with them and see if my stock options ever get converted
into real money.  At least it's OpenBSD work.  ;^)

> PS : at one time, I would even have tried getting some money from my
> company to pay a consultant do it (there are not many of them in France,
> though)
>
> > any encapsulation should be straightforward.  In the Xylan switch, we
>
> At work, I'm using a 1100 LSS : is it the same as the one you worked on
> ?

No, I worked on OmniSwitch, OmniSwitch/Router, and OmniStack, as well as
the new OmniAccess.  I wrote the "fastpath routing" code for the last three.