Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:21:54 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, Normand Leclerc <leclercn@videotron.ca>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial console drops dead

Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 03:47:24PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:46:07AM -0500, Normand Leclerc wrote:
> > > I am having an annoying problem with my serial console.  After a while
> > > (1 or 2 days) it drops dead.
> > >
> > > I have configured flags 0x30 for sio0 on FreeBSD 4.5 on my PC164sx
> > > computer.  The serial terminal is a computer that is not always turned
> > > on.
> >
> > Use a null-modem cable, so that the computer doesn't have
> > any way of knowing (lack of DTR, RTS, CTS, DSR, DCD) that
> > you don't have the console turned on.
>
> FreeBSD consoles don't care for these lines.
> I usually open the seriel on my terminalserver only if I need and
> never had troubles.

He's using an Alpha serial console with flags 0x30.

I think that the Alpha serial console probe uses the
PAL interface to the serial port to do its thing (please
correct me, if I'm wrong), so even if FreeBSD's code
doesn't have a problem with it, that doesn't mean that
his SRM doesn't, or the FreeBSD/PAL probe/atach stuff
doesn't.

The real clue here would be a diff of the dmesg from
boots with and without the terminal turned on, but
since he's reporting problems with the terminal off at
boot, but no problems with it on at boot, it's pretty
indicative.

Of course, the other option... leave the terminal on at
boot... is alsways there... 8-).

-- Terry