Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:32:43 -0700
From:      Steve <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Atapi CD audio ripper quality?

I've installed dagrab from the ports tree and am trying to figure out
whether or not I'm getting perfect rips from my audio CDs.

Presumably, because it's a digital medium, there is only one "correct"
version. Right?

First I tried dagrab'ing a track multiple times with the default
settings then comparing MD5 digests. I ripped the track seven or eight
times and they were all identical except one. So far so good, I thought.
Then I tried with "-n 16" and four out of five were identical. The thing
is, they were different from what I got using the default settings. I
tried with "-n 16 -o 6" and "-n 32", and with each setting got mostly
identical files, but different from all of the previous settings.

So how do I tell which setting (if any) is giving me the correct output?
The files all sound okay at first listen but I haven't done careful
comparisons to find out if there are audible differences. I figure it
would be too tedious to do so for every track I rip. There must be some
way to automatically figure out if the rip is good or not.

I was running with -v, and in all cases it said 0 retries for jitter
correction. If there are any errors I guess they're going undetected.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing? How do I find out if I'm getting
a correct rip?