Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 23:13:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        dyson@freefall.FreeBSD.org.cdrom.com (John Dyson)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here are my benchmark results, so far

> I hesitate to post this to the mailing list, but I don't have time
> to refine these numbers.  Permission is granted to use this information
> in any way that you see fit.  Note that I don't warrantee this information
> at all. However, I have tried to be as fair and complete as I could be.
> Caveat Emptor....  Here goes!!!!

Please apply the following fix (via patch) to the benchmarks that I emailed to
you all.  I made an error in cutting and pasting some of the results.
The corrected results show that the paging perf of Linux is slower than
the original posting.  Sorry for the error...

*** benches	Tue Aug 22 22:23:59 1995
--- benches2	Tue Aug 22 23:07:15 1995
***************
*** 79,92 ****

! Checking fault performance on Linux (gaussian)
  Memory is now initialized, starting test
  100 mmaps, 512 pages, 2560 pages touched per mmap
  REAL TIME:
! paging in time:    8192.3850 ms
! average time:     381.9265 us
! average time exc. paging in time:     224.1606 us
  SYSTEM & USER TIME:
! system time:    9610.0000 ms
! user time:     250.0000 ms

  Note that Linux has much slower paging and also
--- 79,92 ----

! Checking fault performance on Linux (backwards)
  Memory is now initialized, starting test
  100 mmaps, 512 pages, 2560 pages touched per mmap
  REAL TIME:
! paging in time:   12461.3480 ms
! average time:     468.5169 us
! average time exc. paging in time:     227.4052 us
  SYSTEM & USER TIME:
! system time:   11120.0000 ms
! user time:     230.0000 ms

  Note that Linux has much slower paging and also