Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 15:56:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        steve@news.netdtw.com (Steve Corso)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic

> Hello Gentlemen,
>
> I just received the following message from my new LARGE news server that
> I have built out of a P6-200 (I believe P55 t2 p4):
>
> OS is CDROM 2.1.5R
>
> Panic Unknown/reserve space trap
>
> Syncing disks

No idea.

> Any Ideas on this one would be appreciated.
>
> FYI, not that its related I do have maxusers at 96, CHILD_MAX=128,
> OPEN_MAX=128.  Box has 4 2GB Segate IDEs, 1st IDE is root/os, second IDE
> is news lib, third and fourth are a ccd with the news spool.  System has
> SMC 10/100 ethernet card.
>
> System does not keep news for a long time, but has many (30) full
> outbound feeds, and about the same inbound feeds.

You are using IDE disks??

You have just lost any hope of performance.

Dump the IDE crud...  get three NCR 810 based controllers..  I like
the ASUS SC-200's, wholesale about $60.  Get half a dozen or a dozen
Seacrate ST31055N 1GB Hawk-2 class drives.  VERY fast.  Rather pricey.
Worth the price.  And then go nuts.

Trying to run IDE disks on a news server is like trying to cross
the continent riding a tricycle.  Please get at least a reasonably
nice car before contemplating the trip!

That may sound brutal but it is very true.  I think I will be repeating
this until I am in my grave:  you have to engineer the system well if
you really want to support news.

:-)

... JG