Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:32:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Diskless Workstations

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> Indeed.  You can address some of the performance issues with dataless,
> rather than diskless, workstations (local OS copy, local config
> replicated on a regular basis from a master server, apps and user data
> mounted via NFS).

I personally prefer an almost-diskless-workstation.  That is, one that has
a local disk but uses it only to bootstrap the boot process, and then for
swap/cache space.  With an on-disk cache with Coda or AFS, things perform
very reasonably.

I have not had a chance to try to set up one of these using Coda, but I
might get around to it in a few weeks (once 5.0 of Coda is out).  Coda is
not ready for production use yet, but we're getting there.  Given the
success of such arrangements over AFS, I would anticipate that Coda could
handle it quite well.  The only problem with the arrangement may be the
requirement for setuid binaries locally on workstation disks.
Multiplatform distributed file systems with their own
authentication/authorization scheme are not really compatible with the
concept of a setuid binary.  So one has the choice of eliminating setuid
binaries (quite reasonable on a diskless x workstation -- no need for mail
delivery, local password changing, etc, assuming we get /proc in good
enough shape).

For the uninitiated on the list, http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/ is a good
source of information.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/