Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 1996 16:32:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        neillt@realgoods.com (Neill Thornton), adonai@jump.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ups recommendations...

> carry it through.  Well, think again.  I've got 1500W of UPS and they
> were substantially discharged.  The first thing they do when they see
> line power is suck it dry to recharge the batteries.  The 600W couldn't

That's why it's good to have an automated generator start and
power-cutover system - you're not supposed to run off the UPS for any
longer than it takes for the generator to start. :-)

I'm actually putting a system exactly along those lines together for
my new house in the north woods - it's also an ISP's POP, and they're
busily building the battery shack now.  Because of their remote
location, most of their customers are actually *not* on the power grid
and have solar arrays or Pelton wheels (or both) powering their
computers.  We'd therefore be the only ones down during a power
outtage, and that'd look kinda bad. :-)

						Jordan