Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:02:18 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Craig Reyenga" <creyenga@connectmail.carleton.ca>, <leimy2k@mac.com>, <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Makefile in /usr/src/lib/libdisk WARNS change? PLEASE READ!

> >Hi,
> >
> >I posted the libdisk patch that was heavily ignored two days ago :).
> >Without it I
> >couldn't build libdisk and subsequently world.  If I lower the WARNS
> >value
> >in the libdisk directory Makefiel the source builds without warning and
> >world
> >completes.
> >
> >The problem is rules.c having a switch/case that handles only 2 of 7
> >cases for the
> >platform value.  Adding a simple "default:" [as my patch did] will
> >repair this problem.
> >
> >I should tell you that I clean-installed FBSD 5.0-RELEASE on Saturday
> >4/19/2003
> >and started playing with CURRENT again the very next day at which point
> >I realized
> >world wouldn't build.  I didn't do much else so I can only assume that
> >somehow this
> >could happen to anyone else starting from RELEASE-5 today and
> >attempting to build
> >world.
> >
> >I have the latest version of the rules.c file [1.29]. I checked CVSWEB
> >and it has
> >the exact same code that fails for me in HEAD so I know its not my
> >source.  The
> >only data involved in the switch is an enum type from libdisk.h which I
> >also
> >have the latest version of [1.55].
> >
> >The error is
> >/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value `p_any'
> >not handled in switch
> >/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value `p_alpha'
> >not handled in switch
> >/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value
> >`p_sparc64' not handled in switch
> >/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value `p_ia64'
> >not handled in switch
> >/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value `p_ppc'
> >not handled in switch
> >*** Error code 1.
> >
> >I know this isn't a bug in the VM system.  Its not solving a kernel
> >panic or
> >some other serious commit but it does pose a barrier to those who want
> >to test CURRENT.
> >
> >Should I file a problem report?
> >
> >Dave Leimbach
>
> I know how you feel, boss. I just started a thread about how my computer
> dies if I run out of memory, and all I got was a "me too" from another
> fellow user. No developers jumped in. It seems like unless you have a LOR
or
> a laptop, you get no attention. And no, don't bother filing a bug report
> because it will stagnate further.

Please ignore the above comment.  The poster does not have the best
interests of FreeBSD in mind.
Remember that most (if not all) FreeBSD contributors are unpaid volunteers,
and their day jobs take precendence.
It just happens that the people looking after LOR and ACPI issues have more
time on their hands than others.

I've cc'd the committer of the last change to libdisk.h; this should capture
their attention and get this looked into more expediently.

--
Matt Emmerton