Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:44:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Again Wordperfect..

Heh - at least you didn't try to install Wordperfect Office 2000...
< windows binary running under WINE - blech. > It installs and runs
beautifully under Corel Linux, but be prepared to lose *lots* of hair
trying to run it on any other platform!

With WP8, did you install it as root, or as a specific user?

I think their rationale goes something like this:

Multi-user machines should install it as root, then each user will be able
to register and run their own instance of WP.  This would explain the
=2Ewprc files being created all over the place - they are assuming
<incorrectly, no doubt> that users will be running it from their own home
directory.

If you install it as a specific user, I seem to remember that it will
install the binaries into the user's home directory, and only that
particular user can run it. =20

Kludgy at best, but IMO it's still the best WYSIWYG worprocessor for Unix.

Still waiting for KDE 2.0 to come out so I can try KOffice...=20

- M -

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Hi, its maybe a "question", and more a "question" than a "newbie
> question", but I can put it as a "newbie observation", and as there are
> so many very content users of this nearly perfect wordprocessor here:
>=20
> When I open xwp (from the command line) from another directory than ~/,
> it creates its .wpcr directory there. Wordperfect, is it so stupid or
> did I just overlook something ? Is there any way to force it to find its
> ~/.wprc ?
>=20
> Never seen something like that.
>=20
> And it looks as if each user has to register wp. Not the best way of
> promotion... Corel Draw....which had a bad reputation, now I know why.
>=20
> And another question, Windowsbashing: somebody sent me something from
> Westlaw, some of his articles, three files, but it arrived as one big
> "winmail.dat". What is this ? A progress in computer technology or the
> contrary ? Rethorical question. Anyway, any way to decipher this ?
> It was difficult enough to transfer those articles, so I dont want to
> bother this windows person in California with this.
>=20
> H.
>=20
> PS, Dataminerbashing, it worked with bla@bla.bla, anyway:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> <P>Thank you for registering Corel=AE WordPerfect=AE 8 for Linux=AE! </P>
>=20
> <P>The following registration key will allow you to unlock the product fo=
r unlimited usage. Thank you for taking the time to register, and please re=
member to visit <A HREF=3D"http://linux.corel.com">Linux.Corel.com</A>; for =
further updates on Corel and Linux.</P>