Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:11:45 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Tamgiao Nguyen <tnguye21@umbc.edu>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem

Tamgiao Nguyen wrote:

> Just curious, why would PCI be a bad choice? Some newer motherboards have no ISA
> slots at all. Would FreeBSD have any problems with non-Winmodem PCI modems?

The problem is that 95% of PCI modems are also Winmodems. So if you're
going to get a PCI modem, you need to carefully check it out (like you
did below).

> What do you think about this US Robotics (3Com) modem:
>
> http://www.3com.com/client/pcd/analog/pci_faxmodem_features.html

This one looks good. Since the requirements do not list Linux (it only
says it works with Linux), I see no problems with it for FreeBSD.

However, serial port parameters are built into the kernel, so if a PCI
modem changes its ports you might have a problem. You will probably have
to define its IRQ and port in your BIOS, instead of letting it
autoconfigure.

David