Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 1995 18:44:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, karl@mcs.com, current@freebsd.org, peter@haywire.DIALix.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP target for -STABLE, and setup for SUP info?

> I think that asking you to pay big bucks would actually be
> counter-productive to us both.  It would raise your expectations
> unreasonably and also put those in the project in something of a bind
> as they felt somewhat co-opted by the deal.  I think "much more
> reasonable" is exactly that.  Just out of curiousity (and I'll direct
> this question to any and all listening here, not just Karl), what
> would you consider "reasonable" and what kind of response time would
> you expect for it?
>
> If I can get some reasonable estimates for the size of the potential
> customer base and the amount of incoming capital they'd represent,
> then I think that it's entirely possible that I could turn this from
> idle conjecture into reality.  The Internet has also made it possible
> to "hire" people to work at home, and as long as their work meets some
> reasonable standard for response time and quality then I also think
> that I could put such an organization together with far less overhead
> than a traditional one with offices, 401K plans, etc.  The resultant
> savings could then be passed back to the customer and/or used to
> finance longer-term goals for the project.
>
> Thoughts?  Figures?  I think this would be a very significant step
> forward for FreeBSD, but it's also something that I can't without at
> least a little help.
>
> 					Jordan

I'd be willing to put a few hundred bucks a year (say, $500) into a support
contract if it got me what I considered reasonable turn-around times.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland
Voice: [+1 312 248-8649]     | 7 Chicagoland POPs, ISDN, 28.8, much more
Fax: [+1 312 248-9865]       | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net
ISDN - Get it here TODAY!    | Home of Chicago's *Three STAR A* Clarinet feed!