Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 09:17:54 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Masahiro SEKIGUCHI <seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IGMP bug

In message <9504050411.AA02781@seki.sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp> you write:
>>Could you tell me more about this "too-fast" bug?
>
>Shortly, it is "new IGMP requires 2 bytes for igmp_code field, but it
>has just 1 byte."  This is a bug in a protocol design, not just coding
>issue.

No, it is "The reference implementation of IGMPv2 doesn't implement IGMPv2".
IGMPv2 only requires a single byte.  The mrouted code is simply a bug.

>When I found the bug, I asked a local mbone guru whether it is well
>known.  He didn't know the particular bug, but he told me 3.5 would be
>release soon and 3.3 bug report at that time has less valuable.

3.3 kernel bugs are *extremely* valuable; if a kernel bug gets reported
it might get fixed =)  Immediately before a new release strikes me as a
wonderful time to report bugs.

>>Any volunteers to do testing?
>
>I will.
>
>Does the test start before 2.1 release?

The SunOS kernel code is nearly done.  I can make the same changes to the
FreeBSD-current kernel code, but cannot test it here (I am at IETF, and
although I installed FreeBSD on one of the PC's, it has a 3c509 and the
ep driver doesn't have multicast and I haven't yet had the energy to hack
on the driver.).

  Bill