Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:22:14 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 03:43:47PM -0700, Nicole Harrington wrote:
> >
> >  From my perspective it took days for people to stop discussing what patch
> > was best for ntpd and I still never heard a full resolution on the mailing
> > list. No official blessing of a patch other than what I would get via CVSUP.  I
> > have production servers, I can't run a CVsup everyday, let alone a make world.
>
> Here here. I have shut down ntpd. I can't determine from the debate
> about the ntp patch what I should use. There is no SA ....

It would be important at this point not to confuse "There is no SA" with
"I can't pull my head far enough out of my haunches to find the SA":

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=334860+341475+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-security/20010415.freebsd-security

That took all of ONE SEARCH, searching in the obvious "security" mailing list,
to locate.

> >  Yes I may have missed a few mails or something. But expecting people to spend
> > their days tracking down patches and notices abt problems kinda negates the
> > whole idea of a security mailing and notification.
>
> Yes.

If I found it in the security archives, it must have gone out on the security
mailing list.  In fact, I even see where I forwarded it to work, so we could
evaluate the version of ntp we use there, when I orginally received it on
the security mailing list.

So what we're all kvetching about here is failing to read, or even notice,
a security alert that was sent out?  What do you want?  If you want to pay
some money for security support, we can probably send Albert and Bill around
the world with a baseball bat to beat you over the head every time a security
alert is issued, just to make sure you don't miss it.