Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:14:14 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Subject:   Re: powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

On Saturday 28 July 2007 20:21:02 Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-Jul-28 19:03:54 -0300, JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br> wrote:
> >so using ULE in 7 is ok ? ? ?
>
> Yes.

I thought it is SCHED_SMP on 7 ... isn't it? if not forget my joke, I remem=
ber=20
a msg from Roberson saying the _SMP will substitute _ULE on 7 but I do not=
=20
use 7 so may be it changed later back to it's original name

> >ULE in 6.x is absolutely ok and it runs depending on situation faster th=
an
> >4BSD with correct kernel and sysctl settings for it and it is perfectly
> >stable,
>
> This is simply wrong.  ULE in 6.x is known to have problems and is
> unsupported.  If the problems do not affect your particular workload
> then fine.  If you have _any_ problems whilst running with ULE in 6.x,
> your problems will not be invstigated unless you can reproduce the
> problem with the 4BSD scheduler.

interesting, what do you know? Do you have some data to share?

I don't know where you got your info but I have 50 X2 SMP amd64 running  an=
d=20
25 or so dual-opteron dualcores with SCHED_ULE absolute rockstable and fast=
er=20
than 4BSD, as I mentioned under the circumstances I described before

I also have more 40 or so X2s and 60 or so dual and quad opteron dualcores =
=20
running 4BSD and before you tell me more blabla copied from newspapers and=
=20
other cha-cha sources better you come to me with data (DATA=3Dnumbers) from=
=20
*real* world

> As Kris stated, reporting problems in 6.x when you are running ULE is
> just wasting developer resources.

well I also don't know where you got this because I *never ever* claimed an=
y=20
problem with ULE=20

> Please stop implying that people should be using ULE in 6.x unless you
> are willing to personally provide support for them.

I also do  not know where you got this because I also *never ever* implied=
=20
using ULE, I simply say that I do *NOT* have any problem with it the way I=
=20
use it

So you please read the complete msgs and *try* to understand them before=20
answering with distortions and irrelevant conversations=20

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o