Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:14:33 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, developers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS Issues with branch.. Was: Re: HEADS UP: Be nice to -CURRENT ( "1 week Feature Slush" )

--Km1U/tdNT/EmXiR1

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 04:40:08PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> If this is going to be a "static" release (calling it RELENG_5_anything is
> a mistake IMHO) then this isn't a big deal.  But if people are expecting
> it to have ongoing secirity fixes etc like we do with RELENG_4_5 etc then
> we have a problem, because it cannot last very long at all.

   Ongoing security fixes for a SNAPSHOT ???  No, that is definitely
not the case.

> Accordingly, I would much prefer that the branch (if we have to have it)
> would be called SNAPSHOT_5_DP1 or soemthing, so that the "RELENG_" prefix
> doesn't unduely raise expectations that it will keep working, or move the
> DP1 release elsewhere if we want it to remain cvsup'able long term.

  I think that the huge warning signs all over the release
documentation will do a lot more to set the expectations that the name
of a CVS tag, but just to be sure I suppose we can keep the RELENG
namespace for official releases.  Your proposed name change works for
me.

	- Murray

--Km1U/tdNT/EmXiR1

--Km1U/tdNT/EmXiR1--