Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 18:54:29 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: E-day problems: rtld-elf dlsym() broken?

On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 04:06:34PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> (moved to -chat)
>
> On Tuesday,  1 September 1998 at 22:22:37 -0500, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
> >> As a start, I'd like to say great job to John Birrell and everyone
> >> else involved, going to ELF worked almost without a hitch, I'm
> >> impressed! But there is a problem now: dlsym, for me, seems to have
> >> stopped working.  Entirely.... Returning NULL always it seems. I've
> >> attached a program (yes, it's a start on a basic debugger, I'm
> >> implementing rtld functions first) which should show the problem to
> >> anyone interested.
> >
> > Guys, can we *please* start sending code snippets as plain text?  MIME
> > attachments are fine, just don't use base64.  I will usually give code
> > in plain text in a message a once-over, but it's more of a hassle to
> > do so in base64.
>
> Can't pine autodecode base64 transparently?
>
> It seems to me that we should agree on some base set of functionality
> that a reasonable mailer should support.  Most reasonable mailers
> support MIME nowadays, but the level of support varies considerably
> (that's one of the reasons I moved from elm; when I tried pine, I
> didn't have any trouble with MIME, but I just didn't like some of the
> things it did).  I'll toss in a couple of features for discussion:
>
> 1.  MIME
> 2.  base 64
> 3.  8 bit code
> 4.  html
> 5.  PostScript
> 6.  RTF (can anybody decipher it?)
> 7.  images
>
> Any others?  Any comments?

Deal with lines >80 characters. Most seem to do this, but since we're
drawing up a list... it'd be sad to find one that didn't. The real
problem, of course, comes with the editor and quoting.

I'm having difficulty talking people into keeping their lines short.
Everything else I get heavy about can be found in some RFC. For line
lengths, the RFC sets a maximum of 1000 characters. If they argue that
problems with lines more than 80 characters are the recipient's
software's fault, who's to say they're wrong? So bung it on the list.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-