Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:13:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Helge Oldach <Helge.Oldach@atosorigin.com>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, imp@village.org, bfoz@glue.umd.edu, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, roelof@eboa.com
Subject:   Re: Dangerously Dedicated

Chad R. Larson:
>I think earlier in this thread was a reference to a document somewhat
>later than the BIOS code shipped with an AT.

Which probably makes some sense as FreeBSD won't run on a plain IBM AT
box anyway...

>Do we want to start a new thread on what exactly =is= the authoritative
>documentation for PC architecture?
>
>The real issue is FreeBSD has to be able to boot on the hardware that's
>in the stores.

Having abandoned my i486 Overdrive box just a week ago in favor of a
decent 166 MHz (gee!) Pentium CPU, I'd like to claim that FreeBSD should
be able to boot on hardware that's in the field rather than in the
stores. That's definitely the bigger number of variants.

Helge