Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 2009 00:41:35 +0900 (JST)
From:      Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
To:        johnea <me@johnea.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openssh concerns

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, johnea wrote:

> Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but after watching the level of spam ever
> increasing over the last 5 years, and more and more people moving to
> big (monopolistic?) service providers like google and hotmail. I've
> wondered if these big corporate service providers don't tolerate the
> spam level in order to prevent anyone who doesn't have a building full
> of IT staff from running their own mail servers.

As recently as last month I was thinking along the same lines, but now
that I have installed a greylisting spam filter (mail/spamd from ports)
spam is down to extremely manageable levels on my home mail server.

With a little time spent configuring your world, there is still room for
do-it-yourself admins with small networks.
--
Tod