Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 19:51:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris B. Wilson" <cbw@vector.net>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
Cc:        admin@multinet.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ascend access switches?

Livingston has just announced the latest product in their PortMaster line,
the Portmaster 3. It integrates ISDN and Analog connections into the same
box, in the fassion of the MAX. However, Livingston's solution is *much*
more affordable. A fully loaded 48-port PM3 which will support 48 B
channels or 48 33.6k digital modem connections (or any combination
inbetween) is only around $350/port.

That is *very* impressive, since if you considered the previous
alternatives. $350/port is a damn good price even for analog dial-up
(managed rack mount). Plus having 48 ports in half the space of a PM2E is
pretty impressive.

I've been using Livingston for quite a while now, and have been very happy
with their products, support, and people.

Chris

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Tony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth Graydon Hoare on Wed, 25 September:
> : Anyone used one of these ascend max 4000ex's?
> : My boss just handed me literature. they look a lot like the telebit mica
> : machines. I see lots of people discussing their portmasters -- anyone
> : tried anything else?
>
> PortMaster is a trademark of Livingston, a competitor to Ascend.
> There are PortMaster terminal servers (POTS/ISDN) and (integrated)
> routers.  I have used neither, but will say that the word of mouth on
> Ascend products is much better than Livingston products, if you can
> stomach their licensing terms, which I cannot.

// Chris Wilson, Gateway Telecommunications, Inc.       | Ofc: 352.375.8658 //
// http://www.vector.net/~cbw    cbw@vector.net         | Pgr: 352.412.4341 //
// VectorNet - Quality Internet in Gainesville, Florida | Fax: 352.376.8353 //