Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 07:37:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
Cc:        Presence <presence@irev.net>, InvictaNet Customer Support <support@invictanet.co.uk>, Freebsd-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: move home dirs

Hi,

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Steve Reid wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 03:01:00PM -0700, Presence wrote:
> > (cd /mnt/old/usr/home/ ; tar -cvlf - .)|(cd /usr/home/; tar xpf -)
> >  It moved everything across perfectly, including .dot files and
> > permissions.
>
> I did something similar recently. What really impressed me: tar handled
> hard links. I guess it keeps track of inode numbers that it has already
> seen.
>
> Very good to know, if you want to copy a filesystem with (too many)
> hard links.

then of course you could use a dump restore combination which would
do the right thing out of the box.

So if you are moving the home partition of a machine you might just as well
run dump over a ssh connection through a pipe into a local restore.
Should be the fastest and at the same time most reliable way to transfer
the data.

Greetings
Christian Kratzer
Toplink