Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 05:21:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Someone needs to re-develop "Softupdates"

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:

>The intent of Kirk is to allow hackers or plain users of FreeBSD to
>use soft updates any commercial entity wishing to profit from it
>must first strike a deal with Kirk. Is that simple and we have
>an e-mail from Kirk to that effect. If you are a commercial
>entity and wish clarification take it up with Kirk and for
>the rest us (hackers) the code is free to use.

It is nice of Kirk to tell us his intent, but someone who knows him
ought to tell him that the liscense terms accompanying his copyright
doesn't say what he wants.  Item 4 in same applies ONLY in the case
of redistribution.  Thus use for commercial purposes is not restricted,
only REDISTRIBUTION is restricted.  If your commercial use does not
require redistribution then item 4 doesn't even apply to you, and
provided you meet terms 1 through 3 you are in complience with his
liscense as published with the copyright notice. Conversely
if your purpose does require redistribution then commercial or not
you must provide source as descirbed in term 4.  FreeBSD meets
this criterion and thus this file could be distributed on the CD
at the descretion of core.

Now, Kirk may distribute the code in parrallel under a different
set of liscense terms (the ones he enumerates in his emails) but
unless Kirk speciffically revokes his liscense (can he even do
that in the absense of specific terms allowing this in liscense,
I think so) published in the copyrights available at:
http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/softdep.copyrights.txt it is perfectly
permissable for a person to use the terms of the liscense found in
the URL above.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com