Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2017 07:15:49 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Moving MIPS to Tier 2

On Oct 8, 2017 9:55 PM, "John Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

While reviewing the Tier document in the committers guide I noticed that
mips
is currently listed as Tier 2.

I thought it was tier 3. Is this a typo?

However, I think it probably meets the
definition for Tier 2 (it not in external source code control for example)
and even some features of Tier 1 (cross-built packages are available).  One
note is that Tier 2 does require 3 active developers, but I think we
probably
have that.  What do other folks think?

I think we are close enough.  Most things work, but not all. We have more
rough edges in MIPS than any other mainstream FreeBSD port. However, the
rough edges are consistent with where arm was a few years ago on it's path
to being nearly tier 1.

Warner

--
John Baldwin