Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:27:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        cjohnson@palomine.net, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: miibus fxp driver with Intel Pro/10 NIC

In article <local.mail.freebsd-stable/20010712122812.A42973@palomine.net> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>I just did a make world/kernel on a box with an old 10Mbps Intel Pro/10 PCI
>network card. I uncommented the "device miibus" line in my kernel config file
>for the new fxp driver.
>
>dmesg shows this:
>
>fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0x8100-0x811f mem
>0xe4000000-0xe40fffff,0xe4100000-
>0xe4100fff irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
>fxp0: Ethernet address 00:a0:c9:57:dc:84, 10Mbps
>
>But there's no mention of nsphy0 or anything about miibus. The card does appear
>to be working normally.

You have a really old fxp card that uses a serial interface (indicated
by the "10Mbps" part above), and has no MII of any sort.  Thus there
is no need for miibus in this case.  The point of miibus is to provide
a uniform interface to the various PHY chips so that the fxp driver does
not have to be updated every time a new PHY comes out.

Your board is working normally.
--
Jonathan