Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 10:52:37 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, beng@lcs.mit.edu, dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore problem (was: Network problem with 2.2.6-RELEASE)

> I'm not being a hardass here.  Software doesn't mutate, so the problem
> should be capable of being isolated.  I'm just doing fault isolation via
> email, and it's not very efficient.

You can say that again ;-) - I've changed the subject line (again) any
chance this one will stick more? - I've got a terrible cold at the moment
and I'm finding it hard enough to follow all this as-is... ;-)

> One possible discrepancy is that my IBM 9G drive is fast SCSI II, not
> EIDE.  It may be an IDE driver problem.

Hoping this helps rule out something...

I have 11.5Gb's of EIDE 'storage' (2 x 4.5Gb EIDE's, and 1 x 2.5Gb EIDE)
all running off a 440FX chipset controller, and I can back them up and
restore them with no problems at all. I'm running the driver in DMA mode -
but I've also had it running in standard PIO mode as well (i.e. flags
0x0). I have the same SCSI controller as Tom, i.e. a 2940UW.

The only other thing I can think of is that DLT is a damned site faster
than DAT - my DAT drive manages about 600k/sec to/from tape, I beleive a
DLT is going to run at anything from 1-4Mb/sec, which is going to 'stress'
the SCSI / IDE side an awful lot more (and working under the principal one
of the best ways to break a system is to 'stress' it) maybe were seeing
something like that here?

Regards,

Karl Pielorz