Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 06:05:39 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Tyler Spivey" <tyler@wapvi.bc.ca>, <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: sony cdu

I hate to jump in here, but if I follow this correctly you are trying to get
an old 2x sony proprietary cd-rom to work.  (One that interfaces through
your sound card)  Since my friends laugh and call me "Legacy Man" behind my
back I thought I would put in my two cents.

I have an assortment of old cdroms so I tried firing them into a 486 I have
laying around to see what I could get working.

I failed miserably at getting my sony 2x to work through a soundblaster 16
with sony interface under FreeBSD 2.1.5, 3.4, and 4.0.  I think I know why.

I tried to get a matsushita cr-563b 2x proprietary to work under the above
three versions of FBSD as well with a SB16 and couldn't get any version to
detect it.  I happen to have a stand alone adapter for this cdrom and when I
used that as an interface all three versions picked it up.  I tried booting
under dos 6.22 with the drive connected back to the SB16 and loaded the
cdrom driver under config.sys and then did a soft boot ctrl-alt-del and the
let it boot into FBSD and it picked up the cdrom.  I am pretty sure that
there is some part of the sound card that is not being initialized by the
FBSD driver.  I do not have a dedicated controller for the Sony 2x cdrom, so
I cannot say for sure that the same thing is happening, but I would be
willing to bet on it.

This was an aweful lot of work to get a crusty piece of junk
working...especially since 48x IDE cdroms that work just fine under FBSD go
for about $25.

Josh