Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:41:36 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps segfaults since I overclocked. and worries.

Stephen Roome writes:
>It was probably worth mentioning a long time ago that this isn't an Intel
>chipset based board:
>
>ide_pci0: <VIA 82C586x (Apollo) Bus-master IDE controller> rev 0x06 on
>pci0.7.1
>
>Hypothetically :
>
>If I purchase a 6x86 that is supposed to run at 188Mhz, and hence a bus
>speed of 75Mhz (and run it on this board - an FIC PA2007) does this mean
>that the frequency the IDE devices are clocked at is greater than 30 or
>33Mhz ?
>
>If so, then would a correctly configured system still work as you say? As
>this isn't what the comment in the code implies to me.

IIRC, from a recent article in c't magazine, some motherboards, even though
using a chipset which supposedly supports asynchronous bus clocks, do not
set the chipset up correctly (a BIOS problem, usually). And some chipsets
which claim to provide such support, do not really do so.

Unfortunately, I don't have the magazine here. They tested a whole slew
of motherboards, and this was a problem in many cases. Can't remember
whether VIA/FIC was one of the bad guys.

Of course, it seems like a "correctly configured" system should work. The
big question is, whether the manufacturer does the setup correctly.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de
Work - garyj@fkr.dec.com