Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:18:16 -0600
From:      Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
To:        Kartic Krishnamurthy <kaygee@netset.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staying Stable

As far as a frequency of "staying stable", there's not really a set
deal. Depends on how much downtime you can afford due to reboots, I
figure.

When 5.x is released, you'll have to modify your
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile to reflect RELENG_5 instead of
RELENG_4.

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 02:05:25PM -0500, Kartic Krishnamurthy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have questions about "staying stable".
>
> 1. What is the recommended frequency of cvsuping the source tree to stay
> stable with freebsd?
>
> 2. Right now I am at 4.2 Stable (from 4.0R).  When freebsd reaches, say 5.1
> Stable, what steps need I take to stay stable with the latest (5.1) stable?
> Can I just keep cvsuping and hope to be stable with the latest version?  I
> understand that one can stay stable with 3-Stable or 4-Stable without having
> upgrade to the next higher version. (please correct me if I am wrong).  Also
> if this also the wrong "attitude" let me know :-)
>
> Thanks,
> --Kartic

Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x55DE53E4

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a mini-van full of DLT
tapes traveling down the highway at 65 miles per hour..."
	-Andrew Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks"