Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 13:52:50 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: maxusers/nmbclusters

>For those running -stable in heavy production use:
>
>Anyone running maxusers > 128?
>Anyone setting nmbclusters >= 8192?
>
>I have a 2.2.8 system with maxusers set to 512 and nmbclusters set to
>8192, and I'm *still* in need of more resources (e.g., a panic induced
>yesterday by "Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!").  I was planning
>on moving (through a reinstall, actually) to 3.x-stable, but I want to be
>sure I'm not chomping off more than can be chewed.  I know about the
>panics various people have seen - I'm confident that'll be cleaned up.
>I'm more concerned about posts I've seen recently claiming "you shouldn't
>push maxusers > 128 on 3.x-stable" - I just wanted to know if this was
>dependent on any factors I could mitigate.

   On wcarchive, maxusers is 1000 and NMBCLUSTERS is 100000. Don't try that at
home, folks, without kernel modifications.
   With the change to increase the kernel VM in 3.2, you should be able to
crank both up significantly. I can't say how much without doing a careful
analysis of KVM usage.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org