Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 2003 17:52:47 -0500
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RAID card on Sun Fire V65x

At 9:16 PM +0100 2003/11/01, Olaf Hoyer wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I am planning to suggest to my manager to buy Sun V60x/V65x Servers for
>a new project.
>
>But There were rumors that at least with linux, the optional RAID card
>for the v65x was troublesome, and that SUN patched the linux-driver...
>
>Has anyone got the V65x up and running under FreeBSD 4-stable and that
>raid card?
>
>BTW, which chipset is on it?

	For the onboard SCSI, I believe it's an Adaptec 7509 (send me
email during the week if you need confirmation). The V65x's onboard
SCSI (RAID wasn't shipping yet last I heard) has a 'hostraid' feature
which only works for Windows, and must be turned off for Linux. Sun
ships it off, but if you reset the controller it defaults back to on,
and must be turned off again (for both SCSI busses). On ours, the
disks were out of order in the BIOS, so it wouldn't boot. This was
hard to find, but easy to fix once identified.

	RH 9 installs without the Sun-provided drivers, on the
on-board SCSI; dunno about the RAID controller from Sun.

	Needless to say, you won't get any support from Sun for FreeBSD.

	The BIOS does support serial control, but it doesn't work
very well; not everything is visible from minicom (in Mac OS X's
Terminal.app); they're aware of this.

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;