Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:29:37 -0500
From:      Jay Borkenhagen <jayb@braeburn.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: seeking recommendation: 1000Base-SX PCI NIC for FreeBSD 8

Jay Borkenhagen writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > After having been disappointed by one vendor *, I am returning to this
 > list to seek recommendations for 1000Base-SX PCI NICs.  I am looking
 > to run them on FreeBSD 8 and beyond, and I need support for MTU > 1500
 > bytes (initially around 4470, but possibly closer to 9k later).
 >
 > On http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.1R/hardware.html#ETHERNET I found
 > mention of several "SX" cards, but I have first-hand experience with
 > none of them.  If anyone here can confirm jumbo support and current
 > retail availability of any such cards, I would be very appreciative.

Hi,

My posting of 16-Feb elicited one private response from John-Mark
Gurney (thanks!) suggesting an external media converter with a
1000Base-TX NIC.  While that is a possibility, I would prefer to avoid
having to purchase, test, spare, rackmount, etc.

Does anyone out there have experience with any of the following SX
NICs & FreeBSD? (list from
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.1R/hardware.html#ETHERNET:

 + Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5706 1000Base-SX
 + Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-SX
 + Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709 1000Base-SX
 + 3Com 3c996-SX
 + SysKonnect SK-9D41 (1000baseSX)
 + SMC TigerCard 1000 (SMC9462SX)
 + D-Link DGE-500SX