Date:      	Thu, 18 Jul 1996 20:14:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@alive.ampr.ab.ca>
To:        Global Internet Shopping Mall <gism@isot.isot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyclom-16Ye installation

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Global Internet Shopping Mall wrote:

>  I made sure in /sys/i386/conf/LOCAL contained:
>     device    cy0   at isa? tty irq 5 iomem 0xd4000 iosiz 0x2000 vector cyintr
> The IRQ and address on the card is correct.
>
> But the kernel log file say,
>         kernel:  cy0 not found

Cyclades has a _very_ nice DOS test program.  Check out
ftp://ftp.cyclades.com/pub/cyclades/linux/cyctest.exe.  Boot from a DOS
floppy and run it.  If it can talk to the card, then you can be more sure
there are no hardware problems.

Be sure that the port module is plugged into the card properly; if the
port module isn't plugged in, the card will not be detected.  Double
check the cable; one of the cables we got recently looked like it had
been driven over by a forklift.

I can't think of any real tricks involved in getting FreeBSD to detect it.

> I called Cyclade, they said they don't have installation instruction for
> FreeBSD, have to look it man pages.  The man page only contains the above line.
>
> So I searched   find / -name "cy*" and found duplicates 1st two being same file:
>         /usr/share/man/man4/i386/cy.4.gz
>         /usr/share/man/man4/cy.4.gz
>         /usr/share/man/cat4/cy.4.gz
> Why is there duplicates, and is it neccessary or just taking up space???

The first two files are actually the same file, just hard linked to one
another.  The i386 directory comes from the install procedure, since i386
man pages are stored in a seperate directory since they don't apply to
other architectures.

The last one is the preformatted one; it is created the first time you
read the man page so that it doesn't have to format it every time.

--
Marc Slemko                                  1:342/1003@fidonet
marcs@alive.ampr.ab.ca         marcs@alive.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca