Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:30:13 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu, molter@logic.it, adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au, vas@vas.tomsk.su, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: To UNIX or not to UNIX ;-). Was: PPP problems.

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > Me, with any luck.  Last exam for this semester today.  Yay!  Now, if
> > anyone wants to fund me for this exercise... 8)
>
> This is a highly attractive scenario - please send me some financial
> estimates and I'll see if we can't perhaps put a package together.

Heh.  Jordan calls my bluff.  (I'll mail you later today/tomorrow about
this one.)

> I also expect that Mike would have to send me those estimates before I
> could truly say it's doable, but if this were the start of an
> organized "pledge drive" then I'd toss in $10K as an initial seed
> figure right here and now, not even having to think too hard about it.
> This is something that really needs doing and I've been convinced for
> a long time that there's nobody in their right minds who'd do it all
> for free - it's just too much work.

I don't think anyone needs convincing that it's worthwhile, but if
anyone needs convincing that it's a long, difficult, fairly tedious
job, I'd be happy to digress at some length.  One of the major
attractions of the modular architecture I've been expounding is that
implementing a single module is a much smaller task, and thus easier,
and less daunting.

> The masses don't lead GUI development - they just don't.  It's one of
> the great ironies of human factors engineering. :-) The masses only
> know a usable thing when they've seen it, and *then* and only then
> they will tell you what they hate about it so that you can make
> suitable adjustments.  Ask them exactly what they want up-front, and
> without a visible guide, and most of the rabble will say something to
> the effect of "Uh.. I dunno, something graphical, I guess!  I mean,
> you know, like windows!"  :-)

*chuckle* I was actually looking for mutters of support from the
potential technical collaberators.  I know all about the way user
feedback is usually directed at other users rather than at the
developer. 8(

> No, just a sign that human nature is still about the same as it's
> always been.  The tribes are simply waiting for you to part the red
> sea and lead them across, they really aren't interested in the
> facinating lecture you're trying to deliver on hydrodynamics
> first. ;-)

Hmm, so I should forget the evaluation-version water wings and just go
right ahead with the holy thunder, and wait for the complaints about
the brimstone odour afterwards?