Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:56:24 +0100
From:      "Bart van Leeuwen" <bart@bartsplace.net>
To:        "fmedia" <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   uhci, uaudio and new usb driver?

Stubborn as I am, I am trying to get a single solution working for uaudio full
duplex on both uhci and ohci controllers.

Reading the documentation of the new usb drivers by hps, I concluded that
those should work on uhci controllers as well, and at first glance they do.
Together with the suggested change to the uaudio driver, both playback and
recording work, also in full duplex mode.

However, both during recording and playback I get the following log messages:
usbd_transfer_done: short transfer actlen(1760) < len(1800)

(numbers may differ with playback, seemingly depending on the
samplerate/number of channels)

First question would be if this is pointing at a real problem, or merely at
the SHORT_TRANSFER_OK flag missing.

Note that using the drivers in the base system but with the small change to
uaudio does not result in those messages, and also result in better sound quality.

Howeer, the messages occur with such frequency that they put a noticable
strain on the system. If that affects quality or if the lower quality is a
result of somethign going wrong in the usb subsystem is not clear to me.

Second question is of course, what can I do to resolve this?

Note that the controller used is of the uhci type.

Hans suggested I ask this on this mailinglist, so here they are.

Thanks for any help and information.

Bart.

--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/