Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:24:26 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Peter <Peter1994@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unix Freebsd

Peter wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> Maybe a stupid question but iam working lately on a unixbased system..
> and i am learning the skills...
> At mine work we have a discussion about the names of the folders
> especially one folder; ETC.. lot of books [internetfiles] comment this
> one as ETCetera...
> Is this true?

I'm sure there's a real acronym in there somewhere, but I prefer to
think of it as simply "etcetera". I've been using UNIX for twenty years,
and no one has set me straight yet.

> And are the next ones true?   BIN=Binairy USR=Unix Sytem Resources??

bin = "bin" as in executable binary, and not "bin" as in storage bin.

usr = short for "user", at least that's how I always viewed it. I'm
probably wrong, but old habits die hard. It makes sense, because
software that is meant for the multiple users (either end users or
sysadmins) are stored in /usr somewhere, unless they are needed at boot
time or in single user mode.

In the long run, these names mean whatever you want them to mean.

David