Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:40:45 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        Rick Morel <rmorel@morelr.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP Problem

Dan Busarow wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Rick Morel wrote:
> > I'm running Wu-FTP and can't seem to find any real info, except for the
> > statement that it adds security.
> >
> > Anonymous FTP is fine. Here's my problem. Users can see anything on the
>
> Since you say that anon ftp is fine I'll assume that you mean users
> with an account on the machine can see everything when they
> connect via ftp.
>
> If these are supposed to be ftp only accounts then put all the users
> in group ftp and then in ftpaccess add a line
>
> guestgroup      ftp
>
> Make sure you add -a to the ftpd entry in /etc/inetd.conf
>
> Dan
> --
>  Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
>  DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com
>  Dana Point, California  83 09 EF 59 E0 11 89 B4   8D 09 DB FD E1 DD 0C 82

wu-ftpd can allow you to confine users to their own directory
using a 'chroot'
see teh section that mentions putting a "/./"
in their /etc/passwd entry..

a home dir of /usr/home/./fred
will chroot to /usr/home before cd-ing to fred.

a home dir of /usr/home/fred/./ will chroot to /usr/home/fred/.
then cd to / (in the chroot area

etc.