Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 2000 06:41:07 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        Bap <bap@a1.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, lists@a1.org.uk
Subject:   Re: stable on multiple machines

Bap wrote:

> What is the best way of doing this for the 486, as it will obviously need the absolute minimum install to fit comfortably?

I don't think you can do source upgrade from 2.2.6 to 3.5.1 or 4.1.1.
You have major issues including 1) new boot blocks. 2) aout to elf
kernels. 3) Drastically different /etc/rc*.  4) I am sure there are
more.  If you really need to upgrade this your best bet would be a
"fresh" binary install, after saving vital configuration information.

I am not trying to discourage you, but this won't be an easy path.  I
believe the recommened path will be 2.2.6->2.2.8-STABLE (there actually
was a commit 2 days ago).  2.2.8-STABLE->3.2-RELEASE and change boot
blocks and kernel to elf.  3.2-RELEASE to 3.5.1-STABLE.  Now you can
remove all the old libs and programs that have moved locations.  And all
this on a 486???

Jim
--
Your mouse has moved.
Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect!

Reboot now?  [OK]