Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 02:14:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        abial@nask.pl (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        dg@root.com, rzig@verio.net, dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1 Gbyte of ram

Andrzej Bialecki said:

> BTW. I don't quite understand what's the problem with bounce buffers - can
> they be made to work out-of-the-box with large RAMs or can't they??? As it
> is now (and has been for some time), the boot.flp dies on machines with >=
> 512MB RAM, and IMHO this shouldn't happen...

The bounce buffer problems are simply initialization issues.  If other
kernel data structures are too big, the bounce buffers are put too far
up in the physical address space, and the bounce memory allocated is
too big.  It shouldn't happen, and should not be a problem in -current
any more.

We'll have a new "bounce" scheme soon, so that stuff is legacy anyway.