Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:12:15 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New name?

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 09:13:20PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> I think that, a substantial number of messages ago, someone messages
> the possibility of a name change that made FreeBSD sound less "cheap."
> What sort of image would a new name project? Perhaps an aura of
> quality -- such as "BSD Professional?" (This would also suggest that
> professionals support it.

Having a version of FreeBSD labeled "BSD Professional" or "BSD Office" or
whatever would be helpful. Most suit types have a problem with a system
labeled free anything. Of course, pointing out that the Solaris or HP/UX
system that they just paid big bucks for contains lots of freeware like DNS,
sendmail, elm, X, emacs, etc. does not make points with them.

However, if they ever figure out that "BSD Office" is in fact FreeBSD just
tell them we renamed it for marketing reasons. They should be able to dig
that.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses