Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:25:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, rsi@panix.com
Subject:   Re: Sysadmin article

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> I'd say the real winner was NT. It mostly kept up with Linux,
> trashed FreeBSD and Solaris, and didn't need any tuning to do it.

FWIW, somebody pointed out (and I overlooked) that the test ran RSETs
instead of real mail messages.  Excuse me, but when in the hell was the
last time that your MX sat around receiving RSETs all day?!

Anybody running NT or 2000 out-of-the-box with IIS... yup, that's a real
winner.

	http://www.eeye.com/

Next benchmark:  How long does it take for an untuned box to get "0wn3d"?
OEM NT4, anybody?  Remember, it must be straight out of the box.

Back to work for me.  I have to build / upgrade a few servers; when done,
there will be no more Linux on our network.

I guess the only choice now is if I should tune these systems to work
well in real life, or if I want to have a system that RSETs mail
quickly...

Anybody have a real-world benchmark suite for our new Web server?  I'm
thinking of something along the lines that sends the request, only uses
"HEAD" instead of "GET" or "POST"...

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence