Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:24:06 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6.0?

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

> Christopher Masto wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 10:52:13AM +0100, Nick Hibma wrote:
> > > Are there actually any good reasons why we _should_ upgrade in the first
> > > place?
> >
> > Of course.  We now have an obsolete version of Perl.  That should be
> > reason enough to upgrade.
>
> 	You haven't given a sufficiently compelling definition of "obsolete"
> yet. I think that what people are really asking is, "What does this new
> perl get us that we don't already have?" Once we've answered that, then
> we can balance the benefits against the costs (which are pretty high,
> considering the complexity of integrating perl into the berkeley make
> environment) and then we can try and apply those arguments in the search
> for someone who is willing and able to do the work.

My experiences with perl tend to be that as soon as a new release comes
out, all the module maintainers tend to adopt it as standard and start to
deprecate the older versions.  I'm not saying that this is an overnight
sort of thing, but it does pose a problem ...

My stupid question, though, is why is this such a big issue?  Would it be
too hard to extend our /usr/src build process so that it is smart enough
to do an install out of ports, and just build the ports version of 5.6.0,
vs trying to integrate it into our build tree?  Create a symlink to
/usr/ports/devel/perl560 so that when it cd's to the perl directory and
does a 'make', it builds that?