Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:18:58 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Generating backtrace from kernel panic

A 2.2.7-RELEASE machine recently paniced on me, I had dumpon/savecore
enabled but hadn't built the kernel with debugging symbols, so I rm'd
*.o in compile, added -g to COPTFLAGS and remade the kernel, but I
still can't get a backtrace:

(kgdb) symbol-file /usr/src/stable/src/sys/compile/GINSENG/kernel
Reading symbols from /usr/src/stable/src/sys/compile/GINSENG/kernel...done.
(kgdb) exec-file kernel.1
(kgdb) core-file vmcore.1
IdlePTD 1e5000
current pcb at 1c6d98
panic: page fault
#0  boot (howto=Cannot access memory at address 0xefbffcb4.
		) at ../../kern/kern_shutdown.c:268
268                                     dumppcb.pcb_cr3 = rcr3();
(kgdb) bt
#0  boot (howto=Cannot access memory at address 0xefbffcb4.
		) at ../../kern/kern_shutdown.c:268
Cannot access memory at address 0xefbffcb0.
(kgdb) x/a $ebp + 4
0xefbffcb0:     Cannot access memory at address 0xefbffcb0.
(kgdb) x/4i boot
0xf0119750 <boot>:      pushl  %ebp
0xf0119751 <boot+1>:    movl   %esp,%ebp
0xf0119753 <boot+3>:    pushl  %edi
0xf0119754 <boot+4>:    pushl  %esi

As you can see it was not compiled with -fomit-frame-pointer.  Is there anything
else I can try?

Niall

--
Niall Smart, rotel@indigo.ie.
Amaze your friends and annoy your enemies: