Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 1995 21:19:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gclarkii@freefall.cdrom.com (Gary Clark II)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Perl include files *.ph

> Hi,
>
> Ok, it's now time for my harp on the present location of the perl
> SYSTEM / PLATFORM dependent include files.  Right now they are located
> in /usr/share which I thought was for independent files.  Am I wrong
> in thinking this??  If not, again I say we need to move them.
> They are just processed versions of our *.h files from /usr/include
> and therefore depend on  the system/platform.  Our files will not
> work for a SUN and vice/versa.  Don't ask where, but not there.

They won't work for your sun running Sun/Os, but they should work for
your sun running FreeBSD :-).  /usr/share is shareable accross machines
(architectures) not accross OS's.

Actually the issue of /usr/include vs /usr/share/include has come up
(and pretty much died since it is a lot of digging to figure out) in
the file system standards stuff going on between FreeBSD/BSDI/Linux.

A very large part of /usr/include (and thus by default) /usr/share/perl
is infact machine/architecture independent and most likely belongs in
/usr/share.

Infact about the only machine dependant part of BSD's /usr/include is
/usr/include/machine, this one area when relocated could be done
as a symbolic link back into the machine dependent /usr some place,
with /usr/include being a symbolic link to /usr/share/include for the
transitition period.

This is all a dicey thing right now and I would just as soon leave this
alone until it can be done once and done right.

> Gary
>
> Ideas: /usr/lib/perl | /usr/include/perl | /usr/perl

/usr/lib/perl is wrong as these are not ``archive libraries''
/usr/include/perl is wrong as these are not ``standard C include files''
/usr/perl is wrong as these are 95% machine independent files, perhaps
/usr/perl for the MD parts of this, but not all of it.