Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 08:00:12 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Mario Schmidt <mario@freebsd.linux-site.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Screenshot

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 12:29:03AM +0300, Mario Schmidt wrote:

> Simple question:
>
> How can i take a screenshot in X ? is there a tool available or do i
> just find the key?

A hurried answer:

I use xwd (X window dump) which I _think_ comes with X but maybe
it was something I installed?? Try 'which xwd' to see if you have it.

It describes itself as

       Xwd  is  an  X  Window System window dumping utility.  Xwd
       allows X users to store window images in a specially  for-
       matted  dump  file.  This file can then be read by various
       other X utilities for redisplay, printing,  editing,  for-
       matting,  archiving,  image  processing,  etc.  The target
       window is selected by clicking the pointer in the  desired
       window.   The  keyboard bell is rung once at the beginning
       of the dump and twice when the dump is completed.

and X window UNdump...

       Xwud is an X Window System image undumping utility.   Xwud
       allows  X users to display in a window an image saved in a
       specially formatted dump file, such as produced by xwd(1).

Check their man pages for simple instructions.
Normally I get the file produced by xwd and pull it into
something like xpaint to convert to gif format, which is
much smaller.

There are other tools you can install from the ports (I think
that xv is a popular candidate) but I've never needed anything
bulkier than xwd.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-